When we talk about our gut, we are referring to our ‘whole digestive tract’. Our gut has an overwhelming amount of functions and is really the core to our health. It dictates how we feel and who we are, so we need to treat it with some tender loving care.
Digestive issues are incredibly common and they can arise from stress, dietary imbalances, medication use, vitamin and mineral deficiencies. The end result may be an imbalance between healthy and unhealthy bacteria levels and an irritated digestive tract lining.
- Probiotics will help feed your gut with ahealthy colony of good germs .Probiotic-rich foods include sauerkraut, miso, tempeh, and kombucha. As they are not always easy to access or integrate in the daily diet, we would recommend the Amazing Grass Green Superfood Blends. Where a higher amount of probiotics is required, opt for Amazing Grass Raw Reserve which provides 25 billion probiotics per serve and 8 different probiotic strains.
- It is time to look into Prebiotics! Prebiotics are basically foods that reach the colon without breaking down. Prebiotics are primarily plant sources such as Chicory root or Jerusalem artichokes. They ferment in the colon where healthy bacteria feed on them, creating less space for unhealthy bacteria to thrive. Amazing Grass blends contain both Pre and Probiotics.
- Aloe Vera contains the naturally occurring compounds known as polysaccharides. Aloe Vera is known to possess healing and calming properties. Aloe Vera is present in its organic form in Amazing Grass Raw Reserve.
- Introduce Cabbage to your diet! The vegetable contains a plethora of nutrients such as glucosinolates, antioxidants as well as the amino acid, L- Glutamine. More specifically, L-Glutamine may help to prevent and rebuild a ‘leaky gut.’ This therefore strengthens the intestinal lining and allowing us to retain our nutrients and assimilate them.
- Go gentle on the digestion by removing foods that may cause further digestive issues. By keeping a food diary, you will know which foods upset you. The main triggers are often wheat, dairy, refined sugars, refined flours and alcohol amongst others.
- Coconut Oil is a healthy saturated fat which may help to heal your gut. The anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties are due to the active constituents in Coconut oil. These are namely lauric, capric and caprylic acid. Nutiva provides you with an organic, virgin unrefined, NON-GMO and cold pressed coconut oil.
- Fibre all the way! Bump up on your fibre intake as they help in binding to toxins and support their elimination. Flaxseeds, chia seeds, rye, spelt and leafy greens contain a good amount of fibre.
Mindful eating habits have shown to help contribute to a healthier gut. Take your time to eat, away from distractions such as your phone or laptop. Savour your food with its scent, and flavour. Make sure to chew each bite properly